And so the baconation continues here at Bacon Week.
Today we have S’more-Bacon Bites: small snacks full of chocolate, marshmallow, graham crackers and, of course, bacon.
D’aw, how cute.
Have you ever been to a chocolate or fudge shop where you can get chocolate-covered marshmallows? That’s where I originally got this idea. Awhile ago teh BF brought home some chocolate-covered marshmallows on a stick (there must be a more concise name for those) that were rolled in graham crackers. What better way to improve upon that then by adding bacon?
Unfortunately to be perfectly honest, after putzing around all evening making these, I wasn’t expecting much out of them. When I first had the idea I was totally jazzed, but after bumbling through the cooking process and being grumpy about getting chocolate and graham cracker crumbs everywhere (as well as numerous dirty pots and pans starting to clutter my kitchen), I wasn’t nearly excited as I’d been when I started out. Never cook past your bedtime kids…it’s never pretty, especially with all those inanimate objects trying to get in the way.
All that turned around today, though. Today I took them outside for photographs and took a bite out of one for the cross-section seen above and holy moley, I had to sit down in surprise. These things are durn good (that’s southern phrasing). I thought they’d be alright, but not nearly as good as they actually turned out. They tasted just like a s’more, naturally, but the bacon adds this last salty crunch that’s very satisfying. Honestly the flavor is predominantly chocolate and marshmallow, but the bacon still makes an appearance, I promise. The quality of this may also have something to do with the fact that I used nice chocolate this time (Scharffen Berger 62% cocoa, ty Victoria for your constant chocolate guidance!), but even so, these turned out to be surprisingly delectable treats.
Guess what else? Somebody came along for the Bacon Week ride!
Emily threw me a bone and came up with something I wish I’d thought of myself – Bacon-Infused Spirits! Thanks Emily! ^_^
Remember, if you’d like to join in make a comment here with a link to your post and I’ll mention you the next day! Don’t forget to include our most excellent Bacon Week Badge!
Yields 9 bacon bites.
- 3 slices of bacon
- 5 large marshmallows (not giant…just regular-large size)
- 4oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup graham crackers, crushed (4ish graham crackers)
- Crush up the graham crackers relatively finely. Put them in a wide-mouthed bowl.
- Cut the marshmallows in half, length-wise. Put them cut-side up on a piece of parchment paper.
- Fry up your bacon! Cook it til it’s relatively crisp.
- Let the bacon cool/degrease on a paper towel, and in the mean time remove the bacon grease from the pan. Turn the heat down on the pan, but do not turn it off.
- Cut each slice of bacon into 3 pieces; each piece should be about the length of 1 marshmallow.
- Place a few marshmallows at a time flat-side down on the warm pan. Let them warm for ~30 seconds. Once the flat sides are slightly sticky, press a piece of bacon onto it. Put the bacon-marshmallow bite back on the parchment paper to cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Roll/dip the marshmallow/bacon bites in the chocolate. With a fork remove the bite from the chocolate and roll it in the graham cracker crumbs, then place on the sheet of parchment paper.
- Put all bites in the refrigerator until the chocolate has hardened.